Forth on Psion 5
Ian Jones
2004-05-16 00:17:38 UTC
Does anyone know of a Forth implementation for the Psion 5?
Reuben Thomas
2004-05-19 13:30:01 UTC
Post by Ian Jones
Does anyone know of a Forth implementation for the Psion 5?
Try PsiForth http://www.forthfreak.net/wiki/index.cgi?PsiForth

It's written in OPL, so it'll be slow, but if you just want to play,
give it a go.

I don't know of any solid Forths for EPOC (there are one or two
abandoned projects like a port of hForth) but you could try compiling
a portable ANSI Forth compiler like pForth

http://www.softsynth.com/pforth/

or ficl

http://ficl.sourceforge.net/

ficl in particular I managed to port to a weird ARM-based system (RISC
OS) in a couple of hours a few years ago. I've not tried using it on
EPOC.
http://rrt.sc3d.org/
Ian Jones
http://rrt.sc3d.org/
Reuben Thomas
2004-05-22 13:46:26 UTC
Post by Ian Jones
Thanks for this. I had come to the conclusion that I might need to port a
version across. However, I am not quite sure where to start and what I need
to do.
To port a version, I would just try compiling it. What's your level of
programming expertise? I have used both Visual Studio 6 under Windows
and epocemx under Linux to compile portable software for EPOC. The
latter is vastly preferable as a) it is compatible with the usual
build tools such as make and b) it emulates a lot of Unix
functionality that EPOC is lacking, making it much less likely that
you'll have to change the program to get it to compile. It also fixes
many bugs in EPOC's C library.
--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/